A delicate and intricate aesthetic of steel and glass panels
WilkinsonEyre with Jonathan Tuckey Design for King’s Cross Central Limited Partnership
Contract value: Confidential
GIA: 14,050 m²
These three residential drums sit comfortably with the grade II listed cast-iron 1887 gasholders of King’s Cross which, fully restored, remain the dominant feature on the new skyline.
The architect created a fourth, theatrical, central drum-shaped courtyard where the gasholders meet. Blocks are clad in a delicate and intricate aesthetic of steel and glass panels with a veil of pierced external shutters admitting dappled light to the rooms. The interior is based on a watch design with brass linings in a polished floor, balustrade design and custom-designed door handles combining base materials with precious. A brass lining to the vertical edge of the external shutters continues this language on the facade.