The market has been revitalised
Group Ginger for Scarborough Borough Council
Contract value: £2m
Cost per m²: £1,007
Scarborough Market Hall, opened in 1852, has been revitalised with the repair of its fabric and the addition of a mezzanine. On the ground floor pop-up stalls can be reorganised to provide a flexible activity and entertainment venue. The mezzanine has timber-clad retail units and dining areas with great views up to Scarborough Castle or the bustling market below.
During strip-out key historic and architectural features were retained in-situ or sensitively removed for reuse later in the project. The external appearance of the Market Hall remains largely unchanged apart from sensitive accessibility improvements. But the Market has been transformed, becoming a much visited destination and reclaiming its position at the heart of civic life in Scarborough.