img(height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=2939831959404383&ev=PageView&noscript=1")

The Officers’ House, Woolwich

Dilapidated barracks in Woolwich Royal Arsenal becomes 34 flats with shops

The Officers' House.
The Officers' House. Credit: Timothy Soar

Allford Hall Monaghan Morris for Berkeley Homes (East Thames)
Contract value: £15m 
GIA: 3,423m2
Cost per m2: £4,382

A dilapidated barracks at Woolwich Royal Arsenal was one of the last heritage buildings to be redeveloped within a masterplan. The Officers’ House (Block A) was extensively restored, having suffered structural damage, while a parallel new Block B links the site to the future Crossrail station. The blocks are united by a shared courtyard, animated by access bridges linking each apartment with a central walkway. Block B, comprised of modular units, houses 19 apartments and retail opportunities while Block A accommodates 15. Loadbearing Flemish bond brickwork with expressed dark headers, deep window reveals and large external balconies characterise Block B’s facade, with Block A retaining numerous original features.

  • The Officers' House.
    The Officers' House. Credit: Timothy Soar
  • The Officers' House.
    The Officers' House. Credit: Timothy Soar
  • The Officers' House.
    The Officers' House. Credit: Timothy Soar
  • The Officers' House.
    The Officers' House. Credit: Timothy Soar
1234

Latest articles