Lomax + Wood has added aluminium timber composite windows and doors to its ranges to offer architects versatile solutions. Three case studies reveal how different design briefs and specifications were met
Lomax + Wood works closely with architects to deliver made-to-order high performance timber windows and doors that satisfy the diverse demands and performance requirements of today’s buildings, from the renovation of a period property to contemporary projects seeking to incorporate the latest innovative products.
Case study 1: The Mandrake hotel, Newman Street, London
Lomax + Wood provided bespoke acoustic products for this prestigious London development, which combines a traditional exterior with an eclectic and vibrant interior.
- Timber casement windows made to order
- Bespoke sections to match original designs
- Knot-free engineered timber with FSC Chain of Custody Certification
- Tested by BM TRADA with a certified acoustic rating of Rw 40dB to meet BS EN ISO 10140-2:2010
An essential requirement was to ensure peace and quiet for the hotel's guests. Too often secondary glazing is used, which can be clumsy and ugly, so architects Manalo & White commissioned Lomax + Wood to design traditional timber windows to meet the sound engineer’s acoustic ratings. Lomax + Wood offers an acoustic upgrade to its standard products and a bespoke service for problematic locations where noise levels are unacceptably high. The company commissioned Exova BM TRADA, a leading UK-based research and test establishment, to independently test and certify products in its Kensington & Chelsea range in accordance with UK and European standards.
For more on this case study, visit: lomaxwood.co.uk/newman-street
Case Study 2: New-build, Norfolk
Aluminium timber composite windows were specified for this contemporary new-build in Norfolk.
- True bonded composite windows with low-maintenance aluminium exterior and real wood interior
- Top-hung reversible windows, side-hung windows, fixed light windows, open-out access door and open-out balcony/terrace door
- Triple-glazed Design Series with U-values as low as 0.9 W/m2k for fixed windows and 1.0 W/m2k for opening
- Factory-finished, powder-coated aluminium exterior in RAL 7016 (30% gloss) anthracite grey, with American white oak internally
Lomax + Wood's triple-glazed Design Series of windows and doors was the obvious choice for this high-specification property. It has a deeper glass unit that creates a minimal step between outer glass and frame for maximum light, a flush finish and elegant lines. The aluminium composite windows are manufactured with the highest quality materials, designed to last and withstand all weather conditions for a superior lifespan, exceptional energy efficiency and minimum maintenance. The American white oak internal finish adds a warm wood feel to the inside.
For more on aluminium timber composite doors and windows, visit: lomaxwood.co.uk/aluminiumtimber
Case study 3: Private country home, Berkshire
Lomax + Wood supplied high performance, made-to-order timber box sash windows and doors for this stunning country home. Based on classic Georgian window proportions, the new-build features a full range of Lomax + Wood products that provide elegant and pleasing sightlines and proportions.
- 39 high performance made-to-order timber sash windows and doors
- 26 traditional timber box sash windows with slim 18mm double glazed units
- Made-to-order entrance door with insulated panels incorporating steel inserts for security
- 3 French door sets hung only for surface fitted espagnolette locking
- 6 dormer casement windows with horizontal glazing bars
- Supplied using engineered timber with Lomax + Wood FSC Chain of Custody Certification
Set within a rural landscape, this substantial property has incorporated a number of period features to create a traditional country style. Lomax + Wood worked closely with the clients to ensure their vision was upheld and that its high performance timber windows and doors produced the correct proportions throughout.
For more on this case study, visit: lomaxwood.co.uk/berkshire-country-home
Lomax + Wood provides a single point of contact to survey, produce detailed CAD drawings and install, ensuring that all fenestration requirements are managed by an expert source who cares about the product from beginning to end.
Products are made-to-order and suitable for both new-build and refurbishment projects and every window and door is UK designed and independently tested. Lomax + Wood seeks to offer a quality product at a competitive price to suit any project.
For more information and technical support, visit: lomaxwood.co.uk