Will engage both the casual passer-by and its own congregation
Spheron Architects for The Holy See of Rome
Contract value: £364,000
This is the first wooden church to be built in London since the Great Fire of 1666. The chapel has been constructed for the Belarusian diaspora community in the UK, dedicated to the memory of victims of the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster. It is surrounded by 17 protected trees in the grounds of the cultural centre for the Belarusian community in north London.
After two failed planning applications for an extension to the original community centre, the client team approached Spheron Architects which brought a completely new take on the site and project.
It embraced the traditional form and materials of a rural Belarusian church and introduced a series of contemporary twists, including an undulation of the timber elements on the exterior chapel wall.
By working closely with designer-fabricator Andrew Trotman, the architect has created a very special building that will engage both the casual passer-by and its own congregation.