Harry Gordon Selfridge created a ‘Silence Room’ when his now world-famous department store opened in 1909 as a refuge for shopped-out visitors. Perhaps in guilty recognition of our consumer culture Selfridges has commissioned architect Alex Cochrane to create his own interpretation of the room in the store. This inner sanctum is isolated from the rest of temple of Mammon with gridded acoustic panels, within which felt mattresses are set in oak veneered benches for shoppers. Ceiling Services will remain exposed, celebrating ‘ their chaotic configurations against the ordered and minimalist setting of the room’.
Lazenby’s national treasure
RSHP's polished concrete backdrop at British Museum