Intricate cladding specification for a hotel and cinema at Elwick Place in Kent provides a useful example of how sticking to one manufacturer can pay off for architects
Elwick Place is a 100,000 sq ft leisure and restaurant development in Ashford, Kent.
Rainscreen systems company Bailey has tested, developed and manufactured a custom cladding design for its new-build hotel and cinema.
The project exemplifies the success of single source rainscreen manufacture.
The project involved a successful collaboration with Guy Hollaway Architects and sub contractor Prater helped bring the building to life.
The facades consist of a range of cassette panels in bronze and black, expanded mesh cladding and perforated panels, all in various shapes and sizes, with integrated curves and bespoke roof and wall interfacing.
The intricate design needed to be delivered within stringent architectural constraints. Bailey worked in a cooperative partnership to supply high quality systems on time and within budget.
Products were delivered to site with practical, high quality packaging and meticulous transport logistics, cementing the strong partnership between manufacturer, specialist contractor and architect.
'I knew I could pick up the phone and speak to the team at Bailey and that any issues would be resolved,' says project architect Mike Pearson. 'The people of Ashford love Elwick Place. It has received an amazing response.'
Advantages of single source rainscreen facade manufacturing
- Fosters a strong, long-term relationship with one supplier, resulting in a partnership approach that can build trust, transparency and shared benefits.
- Lower costs due to economies of scale.
- Integration of different systems is seamless if they are designed, engineered and manufactured by a single source.
Disadvantages of multiple source rainscreen facade manufacturing
- While it can be seen to offer increased flexibility and capacity, combined with reduced risk and dependency, this route can complicate supplier relationships and require greater resources to manage them.
- Information sharing can become more complex, costs can be higher and challenges can arise in terms of quality control and efficacy.
- Lower order volumes can reduce bargaining power and lessen efficiencies gained through economies of scale.
6 reasons to choose Bailey as your single source partner
- Bailey has been operating since 1975. It has a range of systems, including hidden-fixing cassettes, expanded mesh, timber-effect planks and other metal systems for any application.
- It can manufacture using a range of natural metals, in-house powder coating facilities and anodising options for aluminium, enabling architects to realise their designs.
- Bailey’s design team can collaborate from initial designs through to engineering, specifications and warranty.
- Its systems are tested to CWCT, BS 8414, BR 135 and BS EN 13501-1.
- Manufacturing is certified to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 Quality and Environmental Management Systems.
- Bailey partners with the NBS Source and NBS Chorus specification authoring service.
For more information and technical support, visit builtwithbailey.com